Okanagan Skaha Early Years Centre
Building relationships with families to promote and support increased access to early childhood services throughout School District 67 (Okanagan Skaha).
The Okanagan Skaha Early Years Centre (OKS EYC) was developed through a strong partnership between School District 67-Okanagan Skaha and the host organization, OneSky Community Resources, and in collaboration with a diverse network of social service providers who work together around early childhood development.
The original “Hub” model was developed within School District 67 and was successful in meeting the needs of families in the Penticton area. The new OKS Early Years Centre was built in response to an identified need to continue to build relationships with families in a way that would promote and support increased access to early childhood services and expand the early years supports throughout the school district.
- Information about child development and parenting
- Developmental screening and supports
- Culturally focussed family supports and resources
- Opportunities to participate in activities as a family that reflect cultural and community values
- Referrals to services and supports such as speech and language, development, childcare, health nurse or an Aboriginal Supported Child Development Consultant
- Referrals to social service agencies that assist with housing, food security, income and transportation
The Okanagan Skaha Early Years Facilitator visits community based school sites in Penticton and area, including Queen’s Park Elementary, Parkway Elementary, Naramata Elementary, Kaleden Elementary and the Summerland Foodbank & Resource Centre. Regular times are posted at each location. As well, some programs may be offered in the evening, including parent support groups and workshops.
The OKS Early Years Centre is offered within School District 67 communities and provides supports and resources to all families with young children living in these communities.
For More Information
Okanagan Skaha Early Years Facilitator